Venezuelan head of state Nicolas Maduro Sunday accused US Vice President Joe Biden of heading a “bloody” plan to overthrow his government, which he said was announced to presidents and prime ministers of Caribbean countries.
In a political event in the central state of Miranda, Maduro reiterated that he doesn’t know if US President Barack Obama is aware of the plan.
“The imperial power has entered a dangerous phase of desperation and has been talking to governments of the continent to announce they’ll topple my government. I accuse US Vice President Joe Biden who personally spoke with the presidents and prime ministers about the plan”, he said.
According to the Venezuelan president, Biden announced the plan at a recent energy meeting in Washington with Caribbean leaders who told him last week in Costa Rica during the Summit of the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (CELAC).
He warned that there are plans to “buy or corrupt” senior military officers to lead a coup in this South American nation.
“A bloody coup plan has been launched and we must come to defeat this scenario”, he added.
Maduro said that Washington “has gone crazy” and warned that “something” could happen to him.
“Our people must be prepared to rescue their democracy, their constitution and their revolution if a coup occurs”, he said.
Last Friday, Maduro said that all agencies of the US government are involved in an alleged “violent plan” to end his government.
The confrontation between Caracas and Washington has occurred regularly since late President Hugo Chavez came to power in 1999. In the last four years, the two countries have not sent ambassadors to each other’s country.
However, the United States remains the top economic partner of Venezuela, as it receives more than 1 million barrels of oil a day from the South.